Saturday, December 1, 2012

Coastal Trail and Fake Fireplaces

Workout: 5 miles back at the Coastal Trail!

The Sleeping Lady sleeping. Typical. This was at 11:00 a.m., by the way. The moon is up way past its bedtime.

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the Coastal Trail for my "long run" today (note: my long runs, at this point in my plan, are not actually long). It takes a while to drive there, but it's so worth it. No skiers, very few people at all, really, and ample space for Bailey to run free.

I was going to run along a different part of the trail as part of my sort-of not-really plan to do a "photo tour" of the entire Coastal Trail, but that siren Point Woronzof was calling me, so I had to go to her. I mean...


... right? I had to go here. I would like to point out that there are, in fact, enormous mountains back there, despite what MiPhone would have you believe.

Things started off pretty cold.


My body seems to go through this weird heat cycle as I run. I'm pretty cold when I start. Duh. It's 0 degrees out. But within three minutes or so, I'm sweating profusely on top, but I can't feel my feet. Well, I guess there's feeling down there, but it feels like some foreign object has invaded my shoe. A boulder, perhaps. This "foreign object" is obviously my toes, but since they're numb I guess the rest of my foot thinks it's feeling something else. I love my shoes, but warm they are not.

Love you, li'l guys. And your li'l Yaktrax friends.

As the run progresses, I have a "Eureka!" moment when I suddenly realize I can feel my toes again, only to realize my upper body is now quite cold. Shit. The profuse sweat produced earlier in the run doesn't help things. I finish the run slightly but not unreasonably cold and blast my car's heat as high as it'll go, take the hottest shower that's ever been taken, and huddle under an electric blanket for a few hours. Then, suddenly, I feel like I'm on fire and have to open my window. What a dope.

So anyway, my run went really well.

No, I'm not trying to make you think I ran more than I did by pushing the lap button more than necessary. I've convinced myself that pushing it when I turn around on an out-and-back means my garmin won't cut off the last bit, which it actually seems to do anyway.

 I guess it takes me a while to warm up. Those paces are what an even effort looks like for this schizo.

I find it hard to believe this elevation chart because the Coastal Trail is flat, but it's the same in both directions, so maybe it's accurate?

More pictures from my run, for your viewing pleasure.




The end.

Tomorrow my dad and I are planning to go on a hike near the beautiful town of Hope, so get stoked for some pretty views. I know that's the only reason you read my crap.

Please excuse me while I do homework by this fake fire.


Apparently that's a thing now? Fake logs and a fake red log glow but a real flame? AND A REMOTE CONTROL?! I'm house-sitting for my neighbors for a couple of weeks and this is the kind of shit I've been set up with. Livin' the dream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment