Monday Workout: 6 miles, ~11:38 average, Pace Gloves
Tuesday Workout: 6.5 miles with 6 x 800 (8:30 with 400m rest), Connects
Wow, so much to tell you all! So many random, unimportant things. Convenient, actually, since it also happens to be the most boring day of the week. I think this calls for the monthly-ish edition of Random Shit Tuesday! It's such a sacred tradition I rarely remember to do it. Let's get right to it:
- As I mentioned on Sunday, the weather gods decided to bless us with a major snow dump. And snow it did! For two days straight. Things were kind of messy for a while there, but then the clouds receded and we were left with a perfect sunny and snowy day! Here are some photos to whet your Alaskan appetite:
You throw a shadow in a picture, Instagram the shit out of it, and you've got some high class art. Right?
This is where I study. I am only marginally productive.
This is a Subaru Outback in my neighbors' driveway. I'm waiting for the roof to cave in.
Now that we've gotten the obligatory weather talk out of the way, let's talk running! My body continues to shock me. Yesterday's 6 miles didn't feel great. My legs were achy McGee. Not tired, surprisingly, but achy. It was snowing like crazy, but snowplows had done their thing so the roads were actually pretty great for running. Until I entered what is technically another neighborhood that hadn't been plowed for a while, at which point one of my Yaktrax broke. Fuuuuuuuh. Fortunately I had already done four miles so I only had to do two on the treadmill. Like I said, my legs were achy and running uphill in powder caused a strange pain in one of my big toes (probably from curling the toe under to try to get decent footing). I was not looking forward to today's speedwork. But remember how I started my story with "My body continues to shock me?" The shock came today. When I woke up, my legs felt fine. Great, even. I couldn't believe it. Running is weird.
I spent all morning wondering where I could do my planned intervals and finally decided it was time to return to the ice rink. It's perfect for speedwork, except that a mile is 9 1/2 laps. 9 1/2 laps?! You mean I have to count out 4.75 laps for each interval and an additional 2.375 laps for rest? AND I don't have a watch telling me I'm on pace the entire time? That sounds complicated. I decided I'd be crazy and call 2.25 laps 400 meters so each interval and subsequent rest was 7 laps. Much easier. Anyway, I'm awesome (and modest) so I obviously killed it. 800 splits: 4:20, 4:13, 4:11, 4:11, 4:13, 4:09 (I was aiming for 4:15s). Even better, it all felt easy. Too easy, really. And no aches to be found! Miraculous. It was the perfect way to cap off a hard week of running. And tomorrow, we rest!
- Back to bullets. Did anyone see this article on water replacing soda as the number one beverage in America? Have I been living in a hole? I had no idea soda was number one, and for two decades. Really?!?! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Americans are gross. I mean, soda's tasty and all, but 50+ gallons a year? That's crazy talk. I'm happy water's back on top, although I'm less than thrilled that bottled water is responsible for much of the growth (according to the article, at least). We live in America, guys! Our tap water rocks!
- When I was in the locker room after my run, I overheard a woman telling someone else that until recently, half her body was paralyzed. She was there for a karate class and was explaining that she can't do many of the exercises but is trying to regain some strength to help her move around more easily. I couldn't believe it! The class did a couple of laps around the ice rink as I was warming up (with their hands above their heads. That was confusing) and I had noticed her struggling, but she was definitely giving it her all. What a BAMF!
- Has anyone seen the movie Pitch Perfect? I know, I KNOW, it sounds like Glee the movie. It's so much more than that, though. And so good. It's not an Oscar contender or anything, but it knows what it is and embraces it. Such a fun movie. Anyway, I can't get over the fact that Adam from Workaholics is in it. And he sings!! I love that man. If you're into dumb-but-super-fun movies, you should check it out.
- I forgot to mention that hockey practice started before I finished my run. Those guys are assholes. Worse than skiers, even. They were literally shooting pucks at me to scare the shit out of me. There wasn't any risk of getting hurt because there was a thick layer of plastic between us, but they were shooting them so hard I could actually feel the sound wave or whatever when the puck hit the plastic. They were laughing about it, too. Okay, guys. At least I'm not the worst-smelling person the planet. Anyone ever walk into a room of full of dirty hockey gear? Puke.
Well, that's all I've got for RST. Thanks for playing! Let's do it again the next time I remember.
- What super fun but dumb movies have you seen recently? I can't get over how fun Pitch Perfect was; I need another one.
- How has your body surprised you recently? That sounds like an "Are you there, God, it's me, Margaret" question. You know what I mean.
- Do you drink a lot of soda? If so, I apologize for my mean words. What's your beverage of choice?