Saturday, December 3, 2011

On the Hunt, Gettin' Ripped

Well, last night was boring. And exciting, in an "ew, mice are taking over our apartment" kinda way. Okay, so just gross. The apartment isn't actually infested, but there's a little shit who hasn't figured out we're going to crush him if he doesn't ptfo. We first saw this thing a few weeks ago, and immediately bought a bunch of space-age mice-catching devices. One of them emits high-frequency squeals which supposedly scare the mouse away. We bought two. Our landlord also got us a couple of seriously intense rat catchers that use electricity to kill the little bastard (or huge bastard-this trap is enormous). We also bought a couple of those traps that close on the mouse so you don't have to actually see it (I know, I know, many would argue that we should have to see it if we killed it. I don't have an answer to that-mice are gross).

Well, to our dismay, this mouse doesn't give a shit. We don't see him often, once a week or so, but he always comes darting out of some invisible crevice and sprints out into the middle of the floor like little kids do when they suddenly decide to flee from their parents, and then we scream and it runs back into another crevice. It appears to know our apartment quite intimately. Last night was particularly fun, mostly because one of my roommates saw it run into our coat closet so I went in, moved some things around, and when I moved my suitcase the as-hole suddenly darted out and ran over my foot! I sound like such a wimp, but seriously, I don't do mice, especially not in my own apartment. I screamed bloody murder and it ran off. We (I) looked for it after that but couldn't find it. Shit. Well, as Russell Crowe once said, "I will have my revenge, in this life or the next." Minus all the "husband to a murdered wife, father to a murdered son" part. I'm not that crazy. But this thing is going down.

Apart from that, my night was pretty much a bust. I've put a temporary moratorium on Friday-night spending since, as I've mentioned before, I have a spending problem. I also figure that since I do long runs on Saturday I shouldn't be drinking on Friday anyway. So for at least the next few weeks, I'll be that crazy mouse lady spending her Friday night stroking her paper doll's hair.

In addition to stroking my paper doll's hair, I decided to do something crazy and pump some iron. If 5 pounds counts as iron. A while ago, I was looking at some blogs and read about this workout created by Lauren at healthontherun. She's wicked fast, so I decided I too would be wicked fast if I started doing this workout. She uses 10 pound weights, but she is obviously a bajillion times stronger than I am, so I went for 5 pounds. Well, I should have realized just how much stronger she is, because I attempted to do 20 reps of each exercise and barely even completed a whole circuit. Jesus. Christ. I must have no thigh muscle whatsoever. I've noticed that minimalist running uses a ton of calf and some hamstring, but hardly any quad, at least compared to other activities. My legs felt like jelly after the first circuit, so there was no way I was doing a second. This is something I am determined to work on.

Determined!

It was a truly inspired idea on my part to do this the night before my long run. It's only 8 miles, and like I said, I don't feel like I use much thigh muscle when I run, but this could be interesting. I think I'm going to hit up Prospect Park since I seem to be in some bizarro world where I wake up at 8:30 on a Saturday so I have the time. 1:00 is a more typical Saturday wake-up time, so this is truly strange. Wait, no it's not, I'm just not hungover! Kind of a great feeling, actually. Off to the Park!

0 comments:

Post a Comment