Sunday, December 16, 2012

As I Was Saying...

And just like that, the posting streak is over. Part of that was finishing those soul-crushing essays but really, I didn't have it in me. Talking about running just seemed so dumb.

AAAAAAnd, collective groan as you all think "Jeano, you've already mentioned the shooting! You did your civic duty! You're supposed to have a bullet point saying how sorry you are for the victims, and that you're sick over it. Maybe mention a prayer. Then, you never mention it again and start talking about how you had the BEST clam chowder EVER!!!" Fuck no. Look, guys, I'm not Mother Teresa. I'm not going to be sad for the rest of my life. In fact, I had a good weekend, full of laughter. I now find myself permanently planted next to our new Christmas tree. You can't be sad next to a Christmas tree. It's science. But you know who's going to be sad for a long fucking time? Exactly. You can say you're going to pray for the families, and that's very kind of you. I know that for many, praying is the only thing they can think to do. But honestly, what is praying REALLY going to do? It's okay to be outraged, and for more than one bullet point.

You know what upsets me the most? In my job, I spend a lot of time talking to the best and brightest about why our government sucks. After the Benghazi tragedy, we were inundated with calls, which continued until only a couple of weeks ago. People were upset, and understandably; there was a lot of confusion and misinformation out there. They wanted something done about it. Friday morning, I braced myself for the deluge of calls I was certain was coming. Twenty-seven people were dead, twenty of them just babies. They didn't sign up to go to war-torn Libya. Their parents signed them up to go to a nice and seemingly secure elementary school in rural New England. So how many calls did we get? Not a one. Not a single damn call. I sincerely hope that people were just in shock, and that tomorrow they'll prove me wrong. Although I've got a sneaking suspicion it won't be the anti-gun folks calling. Please, call your representatives. I'd love to talk to you. I'd love to be able to tell the guys upstairs that the number one caller issue is gun control. It would make my day.

If you're pissed about me getting very slightly political, get off my blog. Or, post a comment telling me how dumb I am. Your idiocy can live in infamy in a tiny, nearly nonexistent corner of the interblogs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment