Friday, December 28, 2012

I'm an Asshole

Workout: cross country skiing, 45 minutes

Today I was an asshole. That's right, I went skiing. Cross country skiing. I hadn't done it in a year, but I guess it's kind of like riding a bike.  Due to unfortunate circumstances, my skis managed to disappear while I was still living in New York, so this was the first time I was able to get out there this season, using skis from middle school that I realized still kind of fit as long as you don't wear any socks. Sanitary, it was not.

Stinky.

Apparently using running as your only form of physical exertion leads to some pretty activity-specific muscle strength. Within about thirty seconds, it became abundantly clear to me that none of that strength has made its way to my upper body. I guess I'll just have to give it some more time to find its way up there (that's how it works, right?). I happen to think that cross country skiing is the best all-body workout in that it seems to target every little muscle, even ones you never knew existed. This is why skier boys have the sickest bodies. This is also why I found it necessary to stop every 20 seconds or so to wheeze.

So anyway, I went skiing and it was hard. I decided I need to do it more often, if I can muster the energy for it. Jebus knows my arms could use it.

I was originally going to run today but since I want to shift back to Saturday long runs, I opted to cross train today and run long tomorrow. That means this past week's mileage was only 14.5 miles, but I think I'll survive. It's the holidays!

I'm really pissed at this warm weather we're having. The temperature doesn't bother me so much as the winds that tend to accompany this type of weather. And the disgusting, melty, sticky snow. This winter gets a D for snowfall. You hear that, snow gods? You suck!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment