Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Rowing and Tanks

Workout: 10 minutes on the erg (more like ugh), 30 minutes on stationary bike

Getting to the student gym from the locker room is so high school. The only convenient time for me falls right when cross country kids are heading out to practice, and the hall is crawling with the little bastards. Inevitably, they all (in my mind) go silent and stare at me while giving me a questioning look like "Seriously? You're not practicing with us, are you? The very idea!" Word is, they're pretty hot shit, and I won't argue with that because I don't understand college sports rankings (so many national champions, but champions of what? D3s? Dsmallschools? Didiots?). Needless to say, I'm somewhat intimidated by them despite having probably 5 years on them, or maybe because of it. It's terrifying. I wished I was wearing a sign that said "I'm not running today, but I swear I could if I wanted to!"

Anyway, I erged and biked for 40 minutes before heading off to take a test. It was a completely forgettable and totally average workout.

I rowed for a year and a half in college, a borderline-scarring experience only memorable because a) it introduced me to the concept of regular exercise, and b) the hilarity of playing flip cup in a ridiculous unitard at 4:00 a.m. before heading to a regatta is hard to beat.

This is as happy as it got. Don't be jealous of my photo editing skills.

Anyway, we spent roughly 5-6 months of the year in a room that was seriously called "The Sweatshop" killing ourselves on ergs. It was miserable. My pride kept me from quitting for a year and a half, and after I did, I couldn't even look at an erg.  Five years removed, however, I'm finally okay with it, and actually think it's a pretty good way to work your back and arms, provided you know proper technique. Ten minutes is plenty, though. Baby steps.

The bike was... the bike.......................... sorry, I just fell asleep typing that. I don't know that there is anything quite as boring as a reclining stationary bike... maybe standing in place?

After work I made a shameful purchase. Guys, I love minimalism. I think it's great. It's helped me a lot with my running and 9 times out of 10, I'll choose a thin, unsupportive, light, flexible shoe. However. I have to face reality and accept that Alaska gets snow. Lots of it. If I want to continue going on incredible hikes during winter months, I have to wear real hiking boots. And by real hiking boots, I mean tanks. Seriously. These things are intense.



Tank. Yes, that's a topo map.

They are, however, waterproof, and will allegedly keep my feet warm down to 25 below. I figured it was all or nothing, so instead of buying a kinda-sorta hiking shoe, I just went for it. I will continue to wear my beloved shoes as much as I can (running, shorter hikes), but when I'm going on big winter hikes, I'll wear these guys. I'm pretty sure that if I showed up to another hike in my tennis shoes I was going to get kicked out of my hiking group, or at least seriously mean-girled. Speaking of which, I've got another awesome one planned for this weekend! Stay tuned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment