Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Totally Original Post In Which I Share My Running Playlist With You

Workout: 12 miles with 10 tempo (9:40 average), 6 miles in Connects and 6 miles in Pace Gloves

First off, what IS this song? My gossip maven wrote about it and since I'm constantly obsessing over what my next power jam's going to be, I clicked away. During my first listen, I was horrified. What is this shit?! This is horrendous! During my second listen, my foot tapped involuntarily. I tap to everything, though, so that didn't mean much. Then came a third listen. And a fourth listen. And fifth and sixth and seventh. By the umpteenth time I listened to it (I was at work so I had the time), I was revolted but also obsessed. IT IS SO WEIRD. But it might make the holy marathon playlist.

Speaking of which, here's what I've got so far, in no particular order.  Now, I wouldn't be caught dead telling y'all about my real music tastes because the thought horrifies me, but I find that with running music I don't care.

You'll notice it's very heavy on (by which I mean exclusively) Top 40s. What? I'm so mainstream.

Beyonce - Halo
Azealia Banks - 212 (not for the timid-eared)
Jay-Z and Kanye - Ni**as in Paris
Emeli Sande - Next to Me
Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (I may or may not have listened to this song on repeat for a 19-miler last year)
Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (I've been trying to find the next "Teenage Dream" since summer 2010, which I spent driving a golf cart around campus listening to this song)
Beyonce - Countdown (even if she copied someone else's music video)
Rihanna - You Da One
Rihanna - Rude Boy
Rihanna - Roc Me Out
Beyonce - End of Time
Demi Lovato - Really Don't Care
Ariana Grande - The Way (wow, that music video is way less sexy and way more Disney than I expected)
Kanye - Take One For the Team (a vulgar but hilarious song. This video sucks but apparently the full version's been taken down?)
Beyonce - Lost Yo Mind (this is a great one, although I may have over-listened to it)
Mariah Carey - Beautiful
Beyonce - Love On Top (this used to be my subway boredom jam)
Black Keys - Everlasting Light (the first time I heard this, I was walking to the godforsaken subway in Times Square, pissed at life. I turned this song on and from the very first drum beat I was hooked. You have to turn it up until your eardrum is just about to rupture before it becomes a power jam)
Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
Demi Lovato - Made in the USA
Jay-Z ft. Rihanna - Run This Town
Kanye - Power
Kanye - Love Lockdown
Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love (power jam of summer 2008)
Usher - Scream (side note: Usher's the most boring person ever on The Voice, but I'm still obsessed with him)
Usher - Twisted
Usher - More
Willow Smith (yes, of Whip My Hair/my dad is famous fame) - Fireball

[updated 08.13: I'd like to keep a running (!) list of my favorite power jams so the following were added after I originally published this post]:


Katy Perry - Roar (five trillion Jeanos up)

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines (this ended up making the list, but you burn out on it pretty quickly)
Lorde - Royals
Drake - Hold On We're Going Home
Avicii - Wake Me Up

----

Today may have been the hardest run of this entire training cycle, but I'm done whining about it. I only have two "SOS" workouts left (mile intervals on Tuesday and another 10-mile tempo next Thursday), so I guess I can suck it up. I was finally able to do a more direct comparison of my two shoe options, in that I ran in both of them during the same run. Usually, by the time I run in one shoe, I've already forgotten what the other feels like.

Today, I knew it was going to be a tough run and I thought the Connects would be the "easier" shoe to run in. Boy was I wrong! I was seriously dragging only a few miles in, so decided to head back to my car and change shoes. Putting the Pace Gloves on was sort of like making it to the surface of a large body of water just when you're about to drown (to put it mildly). They totally saved the run. My legs felt just as trashed, unfortunately, but at least I was able to lift my feet high enough to clear the ground!

We need a picture for this post, so here, take my digits:

My run digits, I mean

That's all I've got. Happy almost Friday, errone.

6 comments:

  1. I found your missing song: Moves Like Jagger.

    [Kidding. That's MY pump-up song lately, and only because it was part of a recent spin routine. Every time I hear it now, my legs want to pedal.]

    Sucky runs, well...they suck, but if every lead-in run of yours was OMG AWESOME, I'd be worried. You still have time. Your legs are young and healthy, and will restore themselves quickly. Try to get some extra sleep, make sure you're taking in enough food, and don't panic. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! [<--Said in my super-encouraging coach voice. BWAHAHAHA.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I dunno, Move Like Jagger has just never done it for me. There's something about that song and anything J Lo that just rubs me the wrong way. But I can dislike it myself and still appreciate what other people see in it! Any song that makes you want to pedal/run really fast is awesome!

      I'M TRYING NOT TO PANIC. And succeeding, actually. I'm not sure I'll be able to say the same thing a week from now, though.

      Delete
  2. So what was the outcome of the direct shoe comparison? We want to know!

    And think how much sucky runs will pay off on race day. You need to experience the highs and the lows of running and training so you are ready for the highs and the lows of the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, haha, I guess I didn't make it very clear-Pace Gloves FTW! By far. The Connects feel like blocks of lead by comparison, Plus, I feel all awkward and shuffle-y. I'm still kind of worried how they're going to hold up over 26 miles, but I've decided to take a gamble on the Pace Gloves. Let's hope it pays off!

      I agree that the hardest runs are the most useful come race day! I can appreciate them after the fact, but totally not while I'm actually doing them.

      Delete
  3. Woo, awesome run when your legs felt like they were about to die! I just know that when you get to your race you're going to blow through it will all of the hard training you've put in. I find that I'm a huge fan of pretty much any song that Pharrell works on--that boy knows his beats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! If I DO blow through it, I may have to send Pharrell flowers or something. I'm pretty sure he produced, like, all of my favorite music.

      Delete