Thursday, July 17, 2014

FREEDOM

 FREEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!

This is me, ecstatic.

You know what I did this morning? And what I'm doing right now? I'm lounging. In my room. On a Thursday. At noon. You know what I did yesterday? I went swimming. Because I can. Because my school year's finally over!

Thus far, freedom has meant a lot of sunsets.



My calendar's wide open for the next 2-8 weeks, depending on school stuff. I can't fathom having so much free time. The last time I had a break this long was in high school. What do people do when they have nothing to do? Plenty of running and hiking, certainly. And camping. And the beach! Waterskiing! Road trips! The possibilities are endless, and slightly overwhelming. I've got some fun things planned for the next week, though, so I'll leave planning the rest of my summer for another day.

So what does this mean for the blog? I'm back, baby! For now, at least.

----

Since it's what brought me out of blogger isolation, I guess we should talk about that race, huh? This far out, there's not much to be said about it, other than "unless it's in Alaska, mid-summer races are dumb."*

The race was sold to me as a tough one, particularly the first mile, but it really wasn't that bad. The race starts in a nondescript neighborhood near Spencer Butte, which surprised me as I thought the "really steep part" was on the road that passes a lot of the Spencer trailheads. I don't really know where we were, but the first eight- or nine-tenths of a mile were very reasonably inclined. The last bit, not so much, but it was still runnable.

Unsurprisingly (to me, at least), the next couple of downhill miles were the toughest. I really dislike downhill running, and this descent was unrelenting. I went with it, though, and soon found myself on familiar roads in town. At that point, the sun was getting to me, but the temperatures were still semi-reasonable.

I haven't done any speedwork since last year and run the vast majority of my runs at a moseying 10:30 - ish pace, so I took it easy the first half of the race. My pace sped up naturally on the downhill, however, so I decided to keep the momentum going the second half of the race. By which I mean I ran 9:30's or so. Not blazing fast, but decent for my current fitness level. 

Garmin splits?! Haven't seen those in a while.

I finished in just under an hour, which was what I had unofficially declared as my goal for the race. At that point, I was a hot, sticky mess so we didn't hang around for long. I'm obviously a jaded curmudgeon, but I think race finishes are a pain in the ass. Usually I'm kind of miserable and just want a cold shower. Which I got, and which was glorious.

Here's a crappy photo of me from the race. Post-race, might I add. When my friend sent it to me I was like, "Seriously? I'm so slow these days that running and walking are indistinguishable?" I don't know why Forrest Gump on the right there is still running.


Here's to summer!

*[This is where I need to somewhat irrelevantly vent my frustration with the Eugene Marathon's decision to move the race to the end of July. I know, this is old news and it doesn't affect me in any way because I'm not even running it this year, but whyyyy?! Why take a race that happens during one of the most lovely (and cool!) springs I've ever experienced and throw it into the hellish hell that is July? Do you really think marathoners are going to be able to feel any sort of kinship with their track brethren when they're being carted off to the hospital? Oh, wait, sorry, the race starts at 6:00 a.m. to "beat the heat." Even worse.

In case you're wondering, I will not be spectating the race. Not out of protest or anything, but because it's too damn hot out. And because I should be hiking South Sister.]



8 comments:

  1. Congrats on a solid race! for not running much and without speed, you kind of rocked it! I am impressed. And that picture at the top? Yeah, it looks like you are about to land right in that water. Awesome. Well, maybe I will make a surprise appearance on your doorstep (I'm not creepy at all) mid-August if we happen to stop in Eugene while we are in OR and make you run on the trails with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I see what you mean about "jumping into that water." I thought you were talking about the lake in the background and was very confused. That was actually just wet cement!

      Let me know if you make it to Eugene! I can't guarantee I'll be here, but if I am we should definitely go for a run.

      Delete
  2. YES! I was all stoked and ready to sign up for Eugene 2014, you know, the April version, and saw they moved it. Oh hell no, why would I run a marathon that's GUARANTEED to be scorching hot?

    Love that you're free for a little while. If you make it down to Humboldt County, send a comment on my blog. We could hike or something, I love buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will let you know! I'm always so jealous of your scenery.

      Even if Eugene's weather DOES cooperate on race day, I would never be willing to do long runs in 90+ - degree heat to train. No way.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back (again)! How did your year of grad school go?
    The jumping picture confuses me because it looks like you're all leaping into the water. Nice work on that 10K, by the way. And no why would anyone move a spring marathon to the middle of summer? I spend my entire life trying to get away from the heat. My money's on them moving it back next year when they realise no one has signed up for this year's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first year of grad school went really well, although right now I'm waiting to hear the results of my exams so can't really say much more than that. I will probably write about it at some point, though, if the mood strikes. Basically, grad school is WAY better than having a real job, but also a lot harder.

      I will be very interested to see what the race turnout is like. Runners are crazy, though, so who knows - maybe just as many people will run as in the past!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha that first picture! I thought everyone but you was holding plain white signs at first.... and then I was like "Oh."

    Welcome back and congrats on your new-found freedom! Feels so good, doesn't it? :) Good job on your race and meeting your unofficial declared sub-1 hour goal! I think I kind of have an answer for you on that Eugene Marathon. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they moved it to the end of July so it would be happening around the same time the masses descend upon Eugene for track-related events. But I agree with you- it would have been better to keep it in the gloriously cool Oregon spring.

    Have fun adventuring with all of your free time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know their reason for moving the race, but still don't understand why they did it. I mean, sure, it finishes at Hayward Field and there will be a lot of track stuff going on that same weekend, but so what? I don't think I'd be any more excited about running a marathon because another running event's happening, and I'd definitely be way LESS excited about it if it meant running in 90-degree heat... But I suppose a lot of people would disagree with me on that.

      Those "white signs" are my lazy way of keeping people who don't know I have a blog off the internet ;).

      Delete