Friday, December 9, 2011

To Santa Con, or Not to Santa Con?

Workout: 3.1 miles, 10 minutes tempo

Big shocker, I ran yesterday. On a treadmill again. It was delightful. I was the only person in the gym so belted out a bit of Beyonce, albeit very meekly (can you meekly belt? I can). I was slightly concerned that someone would walk in, and I am not the kind of person you would expect to belt when alone.

I started with a ten-minute warmup and then did a sort of tempo, although Hal Higdon's idea of a tempo run seems slightly different than what I've always done in the past. Reading it just now I realized I was supposed to gradually decrease my pace after hitting the peak. Oops. But for the pathetic ten-minute "tempo" part of my run, I started at 6.3 mph (9:30/mile) and increased my speed by .2 mph every 2 minutes. The last two minutes I was at 7.5 mph (8:00/mile). It felt surprisingly easy, probably because it was on a treadmill. I had the elevation at 1, though, which I've heard more closely mimics running outside. I did all of my kind-of speed work training for Annapolis running over the Williamsburg Bridge/north on First Ave, both of which are not flat, so maybe it has something to do with that. I'll take it.

I'm so happy to have a shower at my gym (and a gym at my work!). It's so nice to be able to shower there and then head off wherever I'm going. Like last night, destination: happy hour. I overdid it a bit, mostly because I was so thirsty and cider sounded so so good. Fortunately, today's a rest day. Carpe rest day.

Tomorrow I've got something like 9 miles on the docket, and I'm debating whether I should head over to Central Park to observe the ridiculousness that is Santa Con. On the one hand, it would be hilarious scenery (a big, drunken clusterf-ck Santa orgy), but on the other, there will be Santas (and likely vomit) everywhere, which may make it hard to run. But let's face it, I'll probably go check it out. Stay tuned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment