Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pissed Off... and Holidays!

I'm kind of pissed off. It has to do with running so I'm writing about it here. I fully admit to being a back-of-the-middle-of-the-pack runner. I don't like telling people I'm doing a race because I know that, inevitably, they will ask me how it went. When they do this, I always smile and say "It was great!" Nothing more. Of course, that always leads to the follow-up question "What was your time?" Ugh. Double ugh.

This happened yesterday. Someone asked how the race was, and before I could even answer, he asked how fast I ran. I told him, and before I could add the usual "I'm not fast" bit, he said, "That's all? Oh." I think he was trying to make a joke, but seriously? Come on. The funny thing is, these comments often come from non-runners. This guy, for example, couldn't run more than 20 feet without collapsing. His dubious claim to fame is drinking every night, and he's not even good at that. I know this from experience. And when he so quickly insults my running ability and all the work I put into making the transition to minimalist running and building up my mileage again, I'll admit it, I want to punch him in the face. I'll be the first to make fun of myself, to call myself slow, whatever. But when it comes from someone like this douchebag, no f-cking way.

On a happier (and tastier!) note, I made an effort to cook last night. It was a sausage/pasta sort of thing. I got the recipe from this blogger. No, I didn't take a picture. Oops. But I was proud I even attempted the thing. My eating's gone to sh-t the past couple of months, mostly because I moved out of my old apartment at the end of September. I hadn't wanted to stock up on new food the weeks before moving out, then I was crashing on my friend's couch for two weeks, then we didn't have cooking things in our new place (pots/pans at my old place belonged to my roommate)... Then I just lost motivation to cook. During this time, Subway and omelets were my main staples. Not the worst food choices, and things I could probably go on eating until the zombie apocalypse, but after a few weeks at my new place I realized things needed to change. Unfortunately, my discovery of salt bagels threatens to derail this effort, but as last night shows, I'm trying! I even cooked up some broccoli and green beans to eat on the side. Green things are good for you. I used jalapeno chicken sausage from Trader Joe's in the pasta, and although it was delicious, I was awake for a solid hour and a half before falling asleep because it suddenly hit me that I might not have cooked it all the way through. Smart, Jean. But I woke up this morning without food streaming out of every orifice (great visual!), so I guess it was fine.

I'm planning to zone out on the stationary bike after work. I'm really only going because I want to take a shower-it's been a couple of days. Whatever motivates you, right? I think I'll head out for a wee jog tomorrow before leaving to Maine tomorrow night at 12:09 a.m. Yep. That should be fun. I won't forget my camera this time. Well, I'll at least try not to forget my camera. And to think, when I started this blog I was all, "This is great timing because I'm going so many places and will bring my camera everywhere and take pictures of everything and post it for everyone to see and I'll look so interesting!" Fail. I was really hoping to run in Maine, but plans changed so we'll be heading to Boston Friday morning so I'll have to settle for the Charles (#firstworldproblems). I'm determined to not only bring a camera, but also get over my embarrassment of taking pictures of myself and things so this blog will be more interesting. Thank god for having no readers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment